OUR BLAWG!!!

Sunday, March 6, 2011

Sweet harmonizing.

Before I begin, a couple of orders of business. First, Denise apologizes from the depths of her soul for being MIA. It's been a pretty stressful time, the last few weeks, and she has been preoccupied with learning how to save lives one day. She promises to blog soon. Also, welcome Linda and Candice! Linda, you are charming and very attractive (both genetic traits), and Candice, I look forward to meeting you sometime in the next year! The super-cool club grows to 23.

Onwards and upwards.

So I've gone on a mid- to late- 90's music kick in the last couple of days, downloading such hits as "1979", "Give me One Reason", "With or Without You", "Sex and Candy", and "Crossroads".

This single was the first album I ever owned, I think.
The bingeing wasn't helped when I joined some friends at West Central, a restaurant literally in the middle of the western side of the island (no nearby town to speak of), for a birthday gathering. Incidentally, because we were so far from both Portsmouth and Roseau (what with their crazy high populations and light pollution), the stars were phenomenal and maybe the clearest I've ever seen.

When we get to the restaurant, the guy who runs it is this big laid-back black guy, waiting for us to arrive on the front porch. I automatically assumed he was a local, which would have been surprising since there aren't really any decent restaurants on the island that aren't owned by expats, but when he started speaking it was pretty clear that he was from England. Whudda thought? I always forget that people from other countries live here without being associated with Ross.

Anyhow, the man is really into R & B, and was playing us some of his random favourites over the sound system. Towards the end of our meal, the list cycles to Boys II Men, and suddenly the entire table gets quiet. Seven grown men and one woman are suddenly up to their ears in nostalgia, remembering the awkward fumblings of middle-school dances. As we're half way through "The End of the Road", I turn to the guy across the table from me and say:

"Well, damnit, now I'll have to download some Boys II Men."

He's quiet for a minute, and then he responds.

"Honestly dude, you should be pretty ashamed that you don't already have them."



Mike then shows the entire table his lengthy discography of Boys II Men albums on his iPhone (Mike is an avid reader of this blog who, for some reason, refuses to follow it. Big shout out to Mike!). 

Apparently I'm behind the times. Meanwhile, my iTunes library expands.

1 comment:

  1. I knew it was Mike that must have said that before I even read it... the man loves his boyz II men!
    --Ashley

    ReplyDelete